Thursday, March 7, 2013

Part 12 - Unconvincing Characters

The content of this post is based more on my own thoughts and my experience observing Mormons discussing the Book of Mormon than on any particular external evidence.  I contend that many characters in the Book of Mormon are not believable as real people.  I further contend that Mormons unwittingly acknowledge this in their discussions and analyses of the Book of Mormon.

The first example I want to discuss is Nephi.  Nephi is always represented as doing the right thing.  At various points in the journey of Lehi and his family from Jerusalem across the Arabian peninsula, Nephi uses the word "murmur" to describe the behavior of practically everyone in the party.  There are several definitions of "murmur," but the one Nephi (or Joseph Smith) likely meant is "a mumbled or private expression of discontent."

Nephi describes the following people as murmuring in the indicated passages: Laman and Lemuel (1 Nephi 2:12), the sons if Ishmael (1 Nephi 16:20), and even Lehi (1 Nephi 16:20).  The word "murmur" is used 20 times in 1 and 2 Nephi, most often describing the behavior of Laman and Lemuel.  The only time Nephi uses "murmur" in referring to himself is to point out that he did not murmur, as in 1 Nephi 18:16.  In describing his Mother, Nephi does not use the word murmur but says that she complained against Lehi in 1 Nephi 5:2.

Nephi represents himself as above reproach, while all those around him have flaws.  This might not be so surprising since Nephi supposedly wrote the book and is probably biased.  At least that is how we might interpret his writings if we were actually thinking of him as a real person.  But that is not at all how believing Mormons interpret Nephi's writings.  They tend to take them completely at face value and accept Nephi at his word.  I am certain that they would not be so generous if, for example, they were reading the autobiography of a contemporary author.

Calling Nephi's writings biased is understating the issue.  If we were reading similar words from a contemporary author,  we might think he had serious problems with objectivity.  I don't think we would think of him as a great man, they way Mormons think of Nephi.  Great men usually show more humility and self deprecation.  They also show more compassion to others and understanding of their weaknesses.  Many characters in the Bible, even the greatest prophets and kings, by contrast have some serious character flaws.
  
The other character I want to discuss is a relatively minor character.  The following is most of his contribution, taken from Omni 1:1-2.
Behold, it came to pass that I, Omni, being commanded by my father, Jarom, that I should write somewhat upon these plates, to preserve our genealogy—Wherefore, in my days, I would that ye should know that I fought much with the sword to preserve my people, the Nephites, from falling into the hands of their enemies, the Lamanites. But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.
I once brought up in a church class that I thought this guy was probably not so bad.  He was a patriot and a war hero, and on top of that he was very humble.  All I got for this comment was blank stares.  Once again, most of the class interpreted the words at face value and did not try to analyze the psychology behind the words.  If I met people like Nephi and Omni in real life, I think I would like Omni better.  Nephi comes across as self-righteous while Omni seems more down to earth and not so full of himself.  I do not believe that genuinely great men would write like Nephi, nor do I believe that genuinely wicked men admit to their wickedness the way Omni does.  Yet it appears that Joseph Smith intended for the words of these characters to be taken at face value, and most believing Mormons oblige.  I do not at all find them believable as real people.

No comments:

Post a Comment